April's weather has fluctuated between hot and cold, rainy and humid. April doesn't know what it wants. This is not so far from me. I'll tell you this much: I want many more days hanging out at Arrington Vineyard, feasting on bread and cheese, trying out different wines, and spending time with dear friends like Abby.
Read and Reading:
A Homemade Life (Wizenberg) was a true treat. I'm a fan of Wizenberg's blog Orangette, albeit a sporadic reader. Her book is beautifully written, memories and stories gently folded around food. Her recollections of her father were especially evocative. I laughed and cried and, of course, bookmarked recipes to try.
I read Wild (Strayed) with low expectations. For as many people who have been wowed by Strayed's memoir, I've heard from people who disliked it. I can see why. Strayed is somewhat of a mess and she doesn't sugarcoat that fact. There were times I wanted to shake her. But there's something truly redemptive about her hike on the Pacific Coast Trail. As so many people she meets along the way tell her, this is her pilgrimage, her way of atoning and reconciling the past. I'd say it's worth the read.
Currently reading: The Omnivore's Dilemma (Pollan), American Wife (Sittenfeld), Eat With Joy (Stone), Life After Art (Appling), Wonderstruck (Feinberg), Walking on Water (L'Engle), When Helping Hurts (Corbett and Fikkert).
(I read 6 books this month.)
Must-see TV: Once Upon a Time, Psych, Rachel Zoe Project, Vampire Diaries, Real Housewives of Orange County, The Americans, Call the Midwife
I've been making my way through the second season of Felicity and pretty much reliving my college experience. Felicity and I were in college the exact same years, after all. Unfortunately, I never had a Ben or Noel in my life. But the clothes and the angst? I had that in spades.
So You Think You Can Dance returns May 14. OMG I CAN'T WAIT.
I've been loving Tegan and Sara's new album. It's hard to believe I've been listening to them since I was in college.
Musicians Corner starts back up the first Saturday of May. If you're in Nashville, you owe it to yourself to stop by.
Things I Love:
- Celebrating my friend Casi's wedding this past weekend. Congrats to her and Chad!
- Kelley sent me my first Le Creuset, a blue gratin dish. Blue is my favorite color. I didn't even tell her that. I have the most awesome friends.
- The Healing Balm from the Honest Company. It's a miracle worker for my eczema. I'm also digging the lotion. I swear my skin is so much happier since switching to their products.
- I put together a fashion inspiration book using all the magazine pictures I've saved from the last few years. I've got all sorts of ideas now.
- Found some fun maxi dresses at New York & Co. and Francesca's. I haven't thrifted in ages but it's on the agenda in the next week or so. I need more maxi dresses and skirts in my life!
- My friend JJ's Happy Hour: Dating Challenge. She is my hero.
- Myers-Briggs turned 70 and put up some fun party favors on their website. You'll want to download your personalized Type Head. INFJ foreva!
- Preston's Sacramental Baking e-course changed my life. I hope some day to fill you in on all the reasons why.
- Pitch Perfect has a sequel coming out in 2015. Aca-awesome.
- Taking a leap of faith and having someone catch me. Relief isn't a strong enough word.
- This might be my new favorite buttermilk biscuit recipe.
- Tsh and Emily's podcast about all things writing is well worth the listen.
- Skyping with friends, whether discussing faith or reality tv.
In the Blogosphere:
Trying something new. I've put all my favorite links up on Storify.
On The Blog:
I'm not quite back to my usual posting schedule post-sabbatical. But I did cook quite a bit and I made a case for not marrying young. Quite a few people accused me of reading their mind when I asked people to stop telling me they don't understand why I'm single.
On the FB page, I asked if you'd be interested in reading a multi-part story about my relationship with church. The answer was overwhelmingly YES. It should be up in the next few months. And just in case you thought I was a better person than I am, I asked if you'd judge me more for watching the Kardashian interview (reality TV at its finest!) or the new Hallmark movie (Chuck and Rory!).
What I'm Into Link Up Guidelines:
1. Today’s link-up will stay up for one week. The next What I'm Into link up will be Friday May 31.
2. Link the unique URL of your post, not your blog's home page. Readers peruse link ups months after the fact and you want to make it easy for them to find your What I'm Into post.
What have you been into this month?
Disclosure : Amazon Affiliate links included in this post. If you click through to Amazon, any purchase you make supports this site.