February may be the shortest month but it was in no way dull. I've noticed I rarely mention the "bad stuff" of life in my monthly recaps, not because I have forgotten them so quickly but because I'd rather not have the reminder when I look through the archives. I want to remember all the joy I crammed in to each month. Between books read, TV shows consumed, a week of warmth and sunshine, plus unforgettable times with friends, February rocked. But there was also an unexpected health condition (crisis?) and while I've since recovered, it would be dishonest not to mention it here. So here's to February with its high highs and its low lows. Which, funny enough, also sums up the weather in Nashville.
Read and Reading:
It's shameful I haven't read anything by Mary Karr until reading Lit this month. Yes, it's the last of her three memoirs and yes, I plan on reading The Liars' Club and Cherry to get caught up. But reading out of order didn't seem to matter. Karr's writing bowled me over time and again. I almost want to turn back to page 1 and read it all over again. Such rich storytelling.
Americanah (Adichie) raises many questions about race, class, gender, and worldview. Absolutely fascinating global POV, rich characters (and character development!), moving plot. I haven't read Adichie before but I certainly will be tracking down the rest of her work. I was sucked in from page 1 and want everyone to read it so we can discuss.
Currently reading: Found (Boyett), To Be A Friend Is Fatal (Johnson), Hazardous (Cyzewski), Eat With Joy (Stone), Feast (Lawson), The Gift of Being Yourself (Benner), Where Many Rivers Meet (Whyte), Wisdom of the Enneagram (Riso and Hudson)
(I read 10 books this month.)
Must-see TV: Psych, Downton Abbey, Being Mary Jane, The Vampire Diaries, Reign, Once Upon A Time, The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills
Series 3 of Sherlock was the best yet. "Did you miss me?" You bet. Now bring on series 4!
Feeling fairly meh about Vampire Diaries this season. Unless I'm looking at Damon. No shame in my game.
BET aired a Scandal marathon last Saturday so I watched while I worked on stuff around the house. It was the middle of season 3 so I was completely confused but I definitely see why so many of my friends are obsessed. I plan on borrowing the first two seasons from the library so I can get caught up.
I finished watching Veronica Mars and oh my gracious, how have you people stood the suspense all these years?! When I saw the last episode, I thought I had one more disc to go but it was just special features and then I shook my fist at the sky. I'm so glad they made a movie and can't wait to see what's happened with Veronica and her friends in the interim. Especially if it means Veronica and Logan will finally get back together. For those of us without an AMC theater, apparently you'll be able to rent or download the movie the same day it releases in the theater. Fingers crossed.
William Fitzsimmons has a new album Lions. I can't decide if I like it or if I love it. Never cease to be amazed by his lyrics.
Things I Love:
- I started a new tradition with my niece-in-love on the occasion of her 5th birthday: Auntie-Anna outings. We went to Sweet Cece's, a frozen yogurt place, and it was so fun to have time together just the two of us in a non-babysitting capacity. I plan on doing this with my other niece-in-love this summer (and 4 years from now, my nephew-in-love). I want to be someone they can turn to and I see this tradition as playing a part in building our relationship. Also, I cannot believe they're growing up!
- Buying my car! I've been leasing the past 3 years and Josh Grant at Beaman Toyota went above and beyond in helping me figure out what to do, as did Mike in Finance. I never expected to have such a great experience at a car dealership but I left with a smile on my face. Now that's customer service. Plusalso: Grown Up Points.
- Friends who took good care of me whilst sick. I've got some good caregivers in my life.
- Sharone came to visit!!! So fun breakfasting with her and Abby. After months of lively Voxer conversations, it was a treat to be face to face and discuss all manner of things.
- And then Addie came to visit!!! She and her two boys stayed at my house for a night as part of their epic road trip. I also got to see her speak about her stunning memoir When We Were On Fire at Trevecca. It's hard to believe this is only the second time we'd hung out because of how many emails, phone calls, and Voxes have been exchanged the past couple of years. She's become one of my dearest friends and I'm so grateful we could chat and eat mug brownies together.
- Lifegiving conversation with friends: first over dinner with Allison and then over coffee with Mindy.
- Last visitor of the month: my old roomie Jen! We had margaritas and guacamole- standards in our friendship- and caught up over dinner at Taco Mamacita. It was like time never passed.
- Wine with the Author event at Parnassus. Matthew Quick is an insightful and thought-provoking speaker. I wish I'd taken notes when he talked about synchronicity. Hearing about his evolution as an author was super encouraging and I'm glad I had a chance to tell him so. I can't wait to read his new book The Good Luck of Right Now.
In the Blogosphere:
(I'm a big fan of StitchFix (referral link). For my birthday, friends surprised me with a gift certificate, which was the most perfect timing as I had just been thinking it was time for another Fix. This dress is my favorite.)
On The Blog:
Does anything on this blog exist apart from The Enneagram and Blogging series? I'm thrilled people are as fascinated by the topic as I am. I'm looking forward to sharing the rest of the types in the coming weeks.
I'll be posting a February Reading Challenge wrap up on Monday. Because so many of you decided to do the challenge, it'll be a link up.
On the Leigh Kramer FB page, I confessed which reality show I watched instead of Downton Abbey and let you know how I feel when readers introduce themselves to me. Plus: Enneagram and Veronica Mars.
What I'm Into Link Up Guidelines:
1. Today’s link-up will stay up for one week. The next What I'm Into link up will be Monday March 31.
2. Link the unique URL of your post, not your blog's home page. Readers peruse link ups months after the fact and you want to make it easy for them to find your What I'm Into post.
4. Visit at least 2 other posts in the linkup!
What have you been into this month?
Disclosure : Amazon Affiliate links included in this post. If you click through to Amazon, any purchase you make supports this site.