This is the first October that hasn't felt like fall to me, what with the lack of chilly weather and changing leaves. I'm four months into California living and the transition ups and downs continue as usual, as does the apartment search. I kicked off the month with a friend reunion, which couldn't have been more perfect timing. It was good to get away for a quick weekend and be with some of the people who know me best.
Read and Reading
Everything, Everything (Yoon) is an unexpectedly lovely YA novel I couldn't put down. It's being described as innovative for good reason.
I knew my friend Laura loved The Passage (Cronin) and when she and our friend Emily brought it up again when we were together earlier this month, they spoke so highly of it, I decided to make it a priority. Complex and multi-layered, while also being completely unputdownable. A nearly perfect novel. There are literary and religious references throughout and it deftly touches on a number of social issues without being heavy-handed. I've heard book 2 is a letdown by comparison so I'm going to wait to read it until book 3 comes out.
It was such a thrill to hold my friend Deidra Rigg's book Every Little Thing in my hands and to lose myself in its pages. I love her perspective for so many reasons and I especially enjoyed hearing more of her experiences as a Woman of Color. There were a couple of paragraphs in almost every chapter that I swore she wrote for me alone, words I'll be tucking away as my transition to a new state continues to unfold.
Currently reading: Embracing the Body (Owen), Understanding the Enneagram (Riso and Hudson), The Complete Enneagram (Chestnut), Furiously Happy (Lawson), A Wrinkle in Time (L'Engle), Humans of New York: Stories (Stanton)
(I read 10 books this month.)
Must-see TV: Real Housewives of Orange County, Once Upon A Time, Jane the Virgin, Ladies of London, Crazy Ex-Girlfriend
Crazy Ex-Girlfriend is so quirky and fun and I can't get "The Sexy Getting Ready Song" out of my head. Thanks to Micha for telling me to watch!
I watched the first episode of the new season of Scandal and was so underwhelmed by the storyline that I haven't kept up with it. If Olivia ever moves on from Fitz, please let me know. #TeamJake
I also haven't watched How To Get Away With Murder. I think Viola Davis is a force to be reckoned with and was spellbound for most of last season. But I was also so nervous every time I watched and I think that must be why I haven't felt compelled to tune back in. Should I give it another chance?
Listen to the What I'm Into 2015 playlist.
Things I Love:
- I got to spend part of a weekend with my Life Council in Utah. I wasn't sure if I'd be able to make it: new job, recovering financially, not supposed to take any vacation days yet, I have to work Sundays. But the stars aligned: I got to take one day off, I found a cheap enough flight. It was pure magic, start to finish. It was so wild to be back with them and reflect on how much of my life has changed since we were together last fall.
- We were tucked away in a gorgeous house at the base of mountains and it was beautiful even when it was raining, which is how you know it's really truly gorgeous. Also, I've missed a good thunderstorm since moving here so I was positively delighted by all the rain.
- I'll start blubbering if I talk anymore about this group o' mine so I'll end with this: they nourished my soul and I can't wait until we're back together again. We meet up one on one throughout the year when and where we can but there's something so special about being in the same room. I'm so glad I could go.
- Also, this was unexpected: Delta randomly upgraded me to a nonstop flight. I was waiting for my flight to leave SFO when they paged my name. (Does anyone else feel like they're somehow in trouble when this happens?) The gate agent said she'd noticed I was going to have a tight connection at LAX and asked if I'd like to switch to a nonstop flight instead, which was leaving an hour or so later and would land only 4 minutes later than my original flight. YES PLEASE. I was blown away by the customer service!
- I started going to a 1-4-2 Enneagram group, which is offered through my work's Counseling Center. I'm the only 4 in the group, which makes me feel special. *wink* In any case, it's been so interesting to learn more about the ways these 3 types are connected and to get to know the people in my group.
- I highly recommend watching the Blue Angels practice above your balcony during happy hour at work. That's the best way to experience Fleet Week!
- I got to see my friend René while she was in town. We met at the Amahoro conference in 2013 and she's been traveling all over the last couple of months, including a stop here. It was so great to catch up over breakfast! She is a true wonder.
- The Bay Area Buddy Walk was a blast! I zumbaed with the first ever certified instructor with Down Syndrome. I walked with Team ACEface. I talked with different people throughout the morning, some of whom I hadn't met before, and was struck by how at ease I felt. Plus, our team won 1st place for our banner. I love what Micha had to say about the day.
- I am obsessed with pho. I need more of it in my life.
- I'm also a big fan of Grubhub (get $12 off with that link) and SpoonRocket (get $10 off with that link), which enable me to order delivery anytime I need it.
- Male readers avert your eyes for a moment. Ladies, have you heard of Thinx? They are, for lack of a better term, period panties. And they work. This referral link gives you $10 off.
- liveFASHIONABLE debuted their new Customizable feature and it is AWESOME. I played around with all of the possible necklaces I could design before landing on the necklace of my dreams. For real. I've been looking for a necklace like this for ages. (Full disclosure: Thanks to liveFASHIONABLE for a discounted rate. Opinions are my own.)
In the Blogosphere:
Here are the weekly-ish posts of this month's favorite Internet finds but you can find even more of what I've been reading at Storify.
(If you want to follow me on Instagram, my user name is leighkramer.)
On The Blog:
I adore fashion but I hardly ever write about it. Exception: I introduced you to the MK Box, a new styling service. Tomorrow is the last day to get free shipping my code.
On the Leigh Kramer FB page, we freaked out about the latest Serial update and celebrated the good Gilmore news, plus I told you about my latest self-imposed reading challenge and how much I don't like scary stuff.
(The best way to see updates in your newsfeed is by liking and commenting on my posts regularly. Bless those FB algorithms.)
What I'm Into Link Up Guidelines:
1. Today’s link-up will stay up for one week. The next What I'm Into link up will be Monday November 30.
2. Link the unique URL of your post, not your blog's home page. Readers peruse link ups months after the fact and you want to make it easy for them to find your What I'm Into post.
4. Visit at least 2 other posts in the linkup!
What have you been into this month?
Disclosure : Affiliate links included in this post. If you click through, any purchase you make supports this site.